Super glamorous and elegant Cannes on the French Riviera, the home of the famous Cannes Film Festival is, surprisingly, an ideal place for a long stay vacation in the winter months. If you’re 50-plus you can enjoy a hosted long stay holiday or renting an apartment in this locale. If you want, rent a car, and you can manage to to add some interesting road trips and excursions while you visit.
The surprising thing is, it’s really not as expensive on one might think unless you’re staying in one of the 5 star luxury hotels along the Boulevard de la Croisette in central Cannes. In the low season, hotel accommodation deals can be found.
Cannes sits on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea in Alpes Maritimes in the Cote d’Azur region of France. Blessed by warm and sunny tropical weather all year round, it’s been drawing the rich and famous for a number of years. Beautiful belle d’epoque mansions, tropical flowers, cactus and palm trees overlook its wonderful beach and yacht-filled harbor. There’s plenty to do in this Mediterranean tourist mecca. Evenings can be filled with splendid meals, evening walks and a visit to one of the three casinos in town.
Daytime, you can shop till you drop in some of the most fashionable stores of the Boulevard de la Croisette as well pick up some souvenirs and then rest up in one of the cafés. If you’re not wanting to do much shopping, you can visit the beach and go swimming or just rest under the sun. Yachting is another favorite occupational pass time of those that visit Cannes. Love golf? There’s plenty of greens for golfers in the surrounding area.
Here’s a list of the major tourist attractions in Cannes worth seeing. Staying for longer than a few days in Cannes will allow you to visit them all:
1) Visit the Galerie du Carlton which has an excellent collection of of paintings, sculptures and glassware with works by the likes of Chagall, Matisse, Picasso, Renoir, and Utrillo.
2) The actual Cannes Film Festival runs in April-May at the Palais des Festivals.
3) You can’t miss the seeing the Old Port, Vieux Port or the Port Cannes I, great for a stroll on a sunny afternoon or evening.
4) If you are here in July, there is an outdoor music festival worth going to. It takes place in the courtyard of the Church of Notre Dame d’Espérance.
5) Visit the Quartier Anglais (English Quarter) where you can see the villas of the rich and famous, if you’re curious.
6) Visit the Old Town situated on the cliffs , otherwise known as the Le Suquet quarter, with its historical chateaus, great dining, wonderful views of Cannes and narrow bending alleyways.
If you’ve decided on a long stay holiday in Cannes and simply cannot afford any of those luxury hotels along the Boulevard de la Croisette, why not trying renting an apartment? This makes the cost of accommodation more affordable. One such place is the Residence Cannes Villa Francia. Villa Francia rents out apartments for people who want to stay long term. Merit Vacations also offers long stay vacations in Cannes on the French Riviera.
The Residence Cannes Villa Francia is a pastel colored building surrounded by tropical gardens, cyprus and palm trees about 800 meters from the beach. There are two swimming pools, a southern garden with a fabulous view of the Côte d’Azur. The apartments at the Villa Francia can be rented for a mere weekend in the sun or much longer. The apartments sleep up to six or seven people. If you’re going to rent with family and/or friends, this reduces the cost of your accommodation.
Enjoying a long stay vacation in Cannes will give you the time and opportunity to savor the real experience of life on the sparkling Côte d’Azur. After exploring Cannes, there are other places you can explore by car or train. Worthy day trip or overnight trips include, the perfume capital of the world, Grasse, nearby Monaco, Monte Carlo, Nice and Provence.